Thursday, January 23, 2014

Project Conclusion..

This will be the last blog for my passion project "The Rubik's Cube Re-Explored". So to go back in time a bit, my original goals were to improve my average of 12 on a 3x3 Rubik's cube to 15.xx seconds, to become completely colour neutral, and to memorize all of my OLL and PLL algorithms.

I accomplished or almost accomplished all of these goals. I got my average down much lower, but to around the 16.xx range. I memorized ALMOST all of the 57 OLL algorithms and all 21 of the PLL algorithms. I also learned quite a few advanced techniques, most of which I have shared with you on this blog.

I was also reacquainted with the massive online and offline speed cubing community. I'm just realizing this now (after my presentation) but speed cubing relates to the topic of digital dualism which we learned about in my bible class. Digital dualism is the belief that life online and life offline are different separate things. I've discovered that the speed cubing community online and offline are not different things. From what i've experienced online speed cubing community is just a tool to help build relationships or share new discoveries with a larger audience. But the community online is no way separate from  the community offline.

I also had some obstacles along the journey of this project. My main obstacle was time restrictions because I had a very busy schedule for the duration of this project. My solution to this obstacle was to set aside a chunk of time before bed dedicated to practice and that seemed to work really well. Another obstacle I had was forgetting algorithms that I had memorized. I overcame this by repeating an algorithm I had memorized that day several more times before I went to sleep. This seemed to really affirm the algorithms in my mind.

So was my passion project successful? In short; yes. I accomplished or almost accomplished every goal I set out to achieve, I learned a LOT and I really discovered the importance of practice. You're not going to really improve at something without lots of practice!

So to end off I guess I'll just say I'm very pleased with the results of this project and I'm very thankful I got the chance to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment